Monday, November 15, 2010

walk off

I still have the bat until this day. It was our second game of the tournament and it couldn’t of been any hotter. It was our high school baseball team playing as an AAU travel team over the summer. We were playing the Orlando Scorpions who were known to be a pretty average to good team. The game was close the whole time, always changing leads. Tension breaking in the stands as the game come to the last inning. We are now down by one run because of an error by our right fielder. I’m up third in the bottom of the last inning. Our first batter grounds out to 3rd. One out. Our second batter hit’s a double over the second baseman’s head that rolls all the way to the fence. Meanwhile our fans are going crazy. Everyone is thinking extra innings if we get that run in. I’m just thinking hit a single, get on base. That was my job. All coach said was trust your hands. I was like hmm, easy enough. I walk up pretty confident. I remember being extremely relaxed. First pitch was a ball. I was right on it. I can see my runner on 2nd base trying to mess with the pitchers head. I just kept concentrated. Second pitch, ball high. Now im ready, 2-0 count. I got this guy. I know he is coming fastball he is down 2-0 and he has to throw a strike. Pitch came inside, I remember it felt like I didn’t even hit it. I looked up and I thought that might be the farthest ball I’ve ever hit. My first home run and it was a walk off game winner. Wow.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your first sentence, Wes. Very descriptive. It reads like a movie...very visual...lots of tension until the homerun. You have a few errors in mechanics mostly. Be sure and proofread your work for errors.

    ReplyDelete